Thursday, December 30, 2010

Power King Restoration


12/18/2010
Power King Economy Tractor:  Model 2414
My Dad, Orville (Mike) Mushrush purchased this new in 1977, the year that I was born.  When he purchased it he got the front blade that you see here in the picture, a 48" belly mower which lasted about 22 years but was beyond repair, and a garden plow which still works great.  The tractor has been used a lot in the 33 years since it has been in the family and is in need of some major up grades and restoration.  Right now the transmissions will not shift.  I am getting ready to take the engine off and remove all covers that hide the duel transmissions so that I can repair them.  While doing this I am going to attempt to repair everything that needs some attention in the process.  I am documenting this for a few reasons:
  1. So that I can remember how it all goes back together.
2. To record the repairs so that in the future we can see what has had to be repaired before so that if it keeps happening it can be improved upon to keep it from needing repair again.
3. So that we can see what was original to the tractor and what I am up grading. 
4. To make memories of this repair and renovation.  Since my Dad bought this the year I was born, I don't ever remember not having this tractor as a part of my life.  I even bought one just like it when I was in the 7th grade to mow lawns in the summer, a Jim Dandy model. (Smaller Rear tires and no Hydraulics)  I have spent many hours of my life on this old tractor and it means a lot to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go David. I've GOT to introduce you to my friend Brandon. I think you two were cut from the same cloth... He just bought a similar tractor and had it up and running in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree....have you looked at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PowerKingTractors/

    that is the largest group of powerking owners.

    Also...great job....great story...nothing better than dads stuff. Bill

    ReplyDelete